Tuesday 18 November 2008

W. Somerset Maugham

 William Sumerset Maugham 1874-1965

born 1874 - died 1965

 

I'm feeling inspired to read. Not that I don't read, I often do whenever the mood takes me. So I sensed Somerset Maugham and it's going to be his short stories. Good enough for my attention span in a restless month. When I say "sensed" there was something instinctive around today.

In one of my reflective moods today. Ok start at the beginning, been bumping into people from my past today. Significantly, one friend I grew up with, even though years go by we always seem to pick up wherever we left off. Food for the soul and a real joy to catch up. The catching up was a 2hr coffee!

As the sky was changing to darkness, at about 3.30pm the sun had turned a red colour shadowed by some wandering clouds. I pondered my day so far and thought about reading. Don't know if it was word association with sunset, as I looked at the burnt coloured sun I thought about Somerset Maugham.

Time for just me in silent peace, costs nothing only a little bit of time to connect with this "food for the soul" that nourishes. So much over a period of time has had me considering the needs of others. I forgot myself, she was their but sitting somewhere on a shadowed cloud waiting like a love lost.

Again I had the opportunity for inspiration early evening in Edinburgh. Chatting frivolously with another friend who has a vast knowledge of books and years experience of writing. Amused with me as I romanticise life in my adventure seeking way. Oblivious to my recollections earlier on today as we engrossed in conversation. I was stopped in my tracks when suggested by my friend something to read. Yip it was him, the man himself..Somerset Maugham!!! How bizarre, of all the people, books, poetry blah blah blah that could have been suggested it was "that guy".

Isn't it interesting how things present to you, like an offering? So I may go on a short journey and see where it leads. Down Somerset Maugham's path of short stories. Liza of Lambeth is my first port of call.

cloudy sunsets

No comments: